Town Hall Usage
Links to The World
Grant Valley's Beginning
minutes of the first meeting of the Town of Grant Valley shows that the
township was organized on the twentieth day of October, 1898, following an
election on October 18th. Positions filled by election included three (3)
supervisors; one (1) clerk; one (1) treasurer; one (10 justice of the peace;
one (1) constable; and one (1) assessor.
Of special interest is the business items addressed at the first meeting
addressed purchasing election supplies which included 100 ft. of one quarter
inch rope, ten yards of cotton sheeting, two pieces of lumber one inch thick
and surfaced on one side, for the purpose of constructing a flag staff and
polling areas at the school house, which was located in section 26. At some
point in time, the "wood shed" for the school became the
town hall, and it remained as such, until a new town hall was constructed on
land donated by Jack Strowbridge in memory of his
father Clarence (Slats), and located at the intersection of County Road #7
and Bootleg Road.
The majority of business items now requiring board action focuses
on road work/projects/needs.
P.O. Box 1462
Bemidji, MN 56619